Sidney’s Picks: SC’s Confederate Flag is History!
MariusPriv, Creative Commons. Illustration shows Bree Newsome, a South Carolina woman who beat the state legislature to the punch and took the flag down herself. Today, it went down legally and permanently.
The Best of the Week’s News
- Hillman judge Ta-Nehisi Coates garners another rave review for his new book, “Between the World and Me.”
- Stop-and-frisk not dead yet? Stops continue off the books.
- Hillman Prize-winner John Richardson checks in with climate scientists to find out how they feel about their front row seats for Armageddon.
- A beautiful essay about a body farm in Texas and some remarkable people who gave their bodies to science.
- The disgrace of New York City’s homeless shelters.