2015 Hillman Prize Nominations
The 2015 Hillman Prizes will be given for reporting produced, published, broadcast, or exhibited in 2014. Core criteria are quality of work, social and journalistic impact and relevance to the ideals of Sidney Hillman.
The received-by deadline for all submissions is January 30, 2015. The Entry form will open in November 2014. Please join our email list to receive notification.
2015 Contest Entry Instructions:
There is no submission fee.
Please use the Submission form at the bottom of this page. It has category-specific instructions as well as a textbox to enter your cover letter. You may upload your files, provide URL's and/or mail copies to our office but you must fill out the entry form or we may not see the entry. If mailing large newspaper series, please indicate with a highlighter or sticker which article is being submitted on each page.
2015 categories are as follows:
1. Book (bound volumes and ebooks)
2. Newspaper Journalism (story or series/in print or online)
3. Magazine Journalism (story or series/in print or online)
4. Broadcast Journalism (story or series/at least 20 minutes in total package length) Open to television, web TV, radio, podcast, and documentary film.
5. Web Journalism (publication/story or series/multimedia) Open to blogs, photojournalism, computer-assisted reporting, new investigative tools, mapping, crowd sourcing, and other multimedia projects. Entries should feature both text and visual components.
6. Opinion & Analysis Journalism (any medium) Includes all types of advocacy, opinion, commentary and analysis, normally short-form and/or frequent, regardless of medium. Open to newspaper and magazine columnists, TV and radio presenters, podcasters, blogs, and bloggers.
The contest is open to journalists and subjects globally, although work must have been intended for and widely accessible to a U.S. audience. You may nominate your own work or someone else's.
Winners will be announced in April 2015. Winners are awarded travel to New York City to receive a $5,000 prize and a certificate at our awards ceremony and cocktail reception to be held Tuesday May 5, 2015.
Submissions are judged by a distinguished panel of journalists: Hendrik Hertzberg, staff writer, The New Yorker; Ta-Nehisi Coates, National Correspondent, The Atlantic; Harold Meyerson, Washington Post columnist and editor-at-large, The American Prospect, Katrina vanden Heuvel, editor and publisher, The Nation, and Rose Arce, senior producer, Starfish Media Group.
You can see previous winners here.
Since 1950, the Sidney Hillman Foundation has honored journalists, writers and public figures that pursue investigative journalism and public policy in service of the common good. Sidney Hillman was the founding president of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union of America, a predecessor union of Workers United, SEIU. Sidney Hillman, an architect of the New Deal, fought to build a vibrant union movement extending beyond the shop floor to all aspects of working people’s lives.
Proceed to the online submission form (link will open in a new window)